1. What was the name of the first story you ever wrote, and what was it about?
The first stories I ever made up were about my stuffed toys kidnapping my sister’s Barbies and holding them hostage on a bunk bed mountain….Troubling if you think about it.
2. Where do you get most of your writing done?
On my darling laptop, in my bed.
3. Internet on or off while you’re writing?
On. Always on.
4. Which book/poem do you wish you’d written?
‘Gone with the Wind’…. or any poetry by Richard Siken.
5. Favourite fictional character?
6. Writing stimulant of choice?
d) Energy Drink
e) Other (please specify)
All of the above in a variety of combinations, depending on the day.
7. Who would play you in a movie adaptation of your life?
I’d like to say Keira Knightley or Penelope Cruz but apparently I look like Christa Theret.
8. Best piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?
Be honest, especially with yourself.
9. If you could only read and re-read one book for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
‘Gone with the Wind’ - it’s not hip or particularly literary but I love it.
10. Which book do you only pretend to like to look cool/well-read?
Sometimes I pretend to have read the Harry Potter series to avoid being hugely ostracised, but really, I only read the first one recently and wasn’t that fussed.
11. What are you working on at the moment?
When I know what it’s about I’ll let you know.