1. What was the name of the first story you ever wrote, and what was it about?
‘The Adventures of Doo Bert the Dragon’ which was about medieval travels. I wrote it for the little kids on holiday at the Bright Caravan Park. I was 11 so I formed a club and wrote a chapter a night for them.
2. Where do you get most of your writing done?
3. Internet on or off while you’re writing?
Off. I write by hand. Except scripts then it’s everything ON.
4. Which book/poem do you wish you’d written?
Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
5. Favourite writer?
Ruth Park - for her versatility and humanity.
6. Favourite fictional character?
7. Writing stimulant of choice?
8. Who would play you in a movie adaptation of your life?
Cate Blanchet. She could do gangly, freckled, Aussie outback kid really well.
9. Best piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?
Just do it.
10. If you could only read and re-read one book for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
The Mill on the Floss by George Elliot
11. Which book do you only pretend to like to look cool/well-read?
12. What are you working on at the moment?
A creative non-fiction piece about the Ribbon Boys, who believe in the rebel myth and die young.